16th Annual Swing for a Cure is Coming | News, Sports, Jobs
Mark your calendars for the 16th annual Swing for a Cure golf outing. This year’s event is scheduled for June 4 at the Fort Dodge Country Club. The day will start with a lunch from 11 a.m., followed by a gunshot at noon for a 4-player tournament with the best shot and the best flight. Golfers’ registration includes 18 holes of golf, a cart and two meals for $ 100 per person. The golfers’ prizes include 16 flag events with golfer rewards of $ 150 each, a $ 500 three-way bonus, a $ 10,000 hole-in-one and wonderful flight prizes.
Raffle tickets are also available for $ 5 each or 5 for $ 20. Raffle prizes include $ 300 Visa gift card, Yeti cooler, grilling supplies including $ 200 in meat from Sawyer’s Meats of Iowa, Apple Watch, iPad. Raffle winners do not need to be present at the event to win. If you would like to purchase raffle tickets, register for golf, be interested in becoming a sponsor or volunteer, or would like more information, please contact the Trinity Diabetes Center at (515) 574-6350.
Thank you to our sponsors for helping to make this year’s event a success:
• Title sponsor: Humboldt Mutual Insurance Association
• Prize Draw Sponsor: UnityPoint Clinic Nephrology – Dr Michael Lee and Iowa Heart Center
• Lunch Sponsor: Hy-Vee Grocery
• Golf ball sponsor: Citizens Community Credit Union
• Water sponsor: Blue Ribbon Pelham Waters
• T-shirt sponsor: Harris Directional Boring, Inc and Torgerson Excavating
• Dashboard Sponsors: Fort Dodge Ford and Next Edge Performance
• $ 10,000 Hole-in-One Sponsor: Kingsgate Insurance
• Par 3 bonus sponsor of $ 500: Nielsen Financial Management, Inc.
• Basket sign sponsor: Next Edge Performance
• Beverage Ticket Sponsor: Baker Electric of Fort Dodge, LLC
• Golf Towel Sponsor: UnityPoint Health – Trinity Regional Medical Center
$ 250 Contest Sponsors:
• Ziegler CAT, Fort Dodge
• Beebe Plumbing and Heating Inc.
• Kemna Auto of Fort Dodge
• Ameriprise Financial Services
• Cornwell, Frideres, Maher & Associates
• Management of executive functions
• First state bank
• McElroy Concrete, LLC
• Hy capacity
• Siouxland Scale Service, Inc. – Farnhamville
• Josephson Manufacturing Company
• Kallin-Johnson Monument Company
• Nick Hildreth Memorial Clinic
• Faiferlick martial arts
• Real estate agents associated with Coldwell Banker
• Reekers heating and air conditioning
The outpouring of generosity and support that Swing for a Cure receives year after year is a wonderful testimony to the members and businesses of our community. With this generous support, this event has raised over $ 185,000 over the past 15 years for the Trinity Diabetes Center. All profits from Swing for a Cure remain in our community, which has a direct impact on the care of community members with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. This is vital, as diabetes is one of the major health needs of the Fort Dodge area. The proceeds collected in previous years have been used for various efforts, including:
• Sending children with type 1 diabetes to Hertko Hollow camp. Camp Hertko Hollow specializes in diabetes care and education for children with diabetes. Children and their families have the unique opportunity to spend time with peers who share the same daily challenges as diabetes.
• Offer innovative pre-diabetes programs. The best method to control diabetes is to prevent it from happening in the first place. The Trinity Diabetes Center continues to provide research-based pre-diabetes education. This intensive one-year, group-based program equips people with pre-diabetes with the knowledge and skills to delay or prevent the development of type 2 diabetes. Research shows that by losing only 5-7% of your weight Starting body weight, a person can reduce their risk of developing diabetes by 58%.
• Organization of an annual diabetes fair. The information fair takes place every spring and features various guests discussing the prevention and treatment of diabetes. This year we had a panel of providers available to answer questions about diabetes including: Dr Michael Lee, Dr Adam Swisher and Alex Doyle, ARNP.
• Purchase of professional continuous blood glucose monitoring systems, hands-on educational materials and continuing education for staff that ensure the Trinity Diabetes Center stays up to date with the latest technology for the best patient care and outcomes.
Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death nationwide, with 1 in 3 people diagnosed in their lifetime. When diabetes goes undiagnosed or left unchecked, serious health complications can arise. Early diagnosis and education are key elements in living a long, healthy life with diabetes.
Please consider joining us on Friday June 4th for some fun and soaking up the sun as we swing for a cure.
Amanda Pratt is a Registered Nurse, Diabetes Educator and Wellness Coach at UnityPpint Health – Trinity Diabetes Center