Due to a growing elderly population, Brunswick County’s median age has risen to 56, making it the oldest of all North Carolina counties.
After:Brunswick County has the oldest population in North Carolina and it’s aging
The StarNews asked Jim Fish, president and CEO of Brunswick Senior Resources Inc, what services are available to seniors in Brunswick County.
After:Brunswick’s growth extends south with two planned developments adding nearly 800 homes
StarNews: How many program participants does Brunswick Senior Resources Inc. help?
Harrelson: The Brunswick Senior Resources Inc. center reaches and serves over 20,000 residents.
What services are offered at local senior centers?
The following services are offered to seniors aged 55 and over:
- Leisure and wellness programs and activities that include yoga, tai chi, swimming and field trips.
- Nutrition programs (on site Monday to Friday and Meals on Wheels for homebound people)
- Help with medication
- Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) Board
- Transportation to some senior centers
- Food pantry in some senior centers
- Various support groups (may vary by senior center)
- Operation Safe Heat program (heating provided to those who qualify)
- Operation Heat Relief program (ventilator provided to eligible individuals)
- Incontinence supplies (for those who qualify)
- Liquid nutrition (for those who qualify)
- Resources for Caregivers
- advance directives
Stay Connected: Like the Brunswick Today Facebook page for all the latest Brunswick County news
What do seniors need most?
- The cost of living has increased, the elderly need an increase in their social security benefits.
- Health care. There are not enough health care providers in the county – ANC, nurses and medical specialties.
- Medication affordability
- Senior apartments
- Not enough infrastructure and transport in the community adapted to the elderly.
- More transport options, especially to and from doctor’s appointments.
What has been done to meet their needs? The local government gives a lot of help to the problems of the elderly. Over the past seven years, they have built five senior centers across the county – Calabash, Leland, Shallotte, Southport and Supply.
What other things are planned? Build senior-style apartments near or near senior centers and affordable housing for seniors.
After:Just outside of Leland, 3 planned developments will add over 500 homes
Which stores offer senior discounts?
(Contact your local restaurant/store to verify discount before visiting)
- Chick-Fil-A is offering a 10% senior discount or a free small drink for seniors 55 and over at participating establishments.
- Chili’s is offering a 10% discount to people aged 55 and over
- Harris Teeter is offering a 5% discount every Thursday for seniors 60 and over. (Discount does not apply to fuel, pharmacy, tickets or gift cards.)
- KFC offers a free small drink with a meal to seniors aged 55 and over
- McDonald’s is offering a seniors discount on coffee for seniors 55 and older
- Smithfield’s Chicken ‘N Bar-BQ has senior discounts, if you ask about their current promotions
- Subway is offering a 10% discount for seniors 60+
- Taco Bell is offering a 5% discount or a free drink for seniors 65 and older
- Waffle House offers a 10% discount for seniors 60 and over on select days of the week.
- Belk’s is offering a 15% discount to seniors 55 and older one day each month in North Carolina.
- Goodwill offers a 10% seniors discount on select weekdays in North Carolina.
- Rite Aid is offering 10% off Tuesdays and 10% off prescriptions for seniors in North Carolina.
- Roses Discount Store offers a 10% discount for seniors aged 55 and over every Wednesday.
- Ross Stores offers a 10% discount every Tuesday for people aged 55 and over
- Walgreens offers a seniors discount on “Senior Day” once a month for seniors 55 and older
- Publix offers a 5% discount on Wednesdays for seniors 60 and over
Contact Cheryl Whitaker at [email protected]nline.com or 910-343-2004.