Activities in the area – Grosse Pointe News
The Grosse Pointe Public Library hosts a variety of programs. To register for the following, visit librarygrossepointe.org.
* Tween Art Lab – Pastels and Paintin’, all day Thursday, February 17, at Central, 10 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe Farms.
* Nonfiction Book Club, 7-8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 17, via Zoom.
* Keep This Toss That, 7-8 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 23, via Zoom.
* Thoughts to Action discussion group, 7-8 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 24, via Zoom.
* 4th Monday Discussion on the book, from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday, February 28, at Central, 10 Kercheval, Fermes Grosse Pointe.
Edsel & Eleanor Ford House, 1100 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Shores, offers the following programs:
* “Storytime: Love Is…” at 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays through February 22.
* Nooks & Crannies Tour, at select times on Tuesdays and Sundays, through March 31.
* Ice & Snow Fest, from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday, February 26.
* Story time: “Lulu & Rocky in Detroit”, from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Tuesdays in March.
* Night Skies & Nightcaps, 7-10 p.m. Friday, March 4. Learn how to make the perfect final drink from Detroit City Distillery.
* Conference: The Arts of Detroit, 7-8 p.m. Friday, March 11. Discover the 1920s roots of two of Detroit’s leading arts organizations.
For tickets and information, visit fordhouse.org.
The American Red Cross organizes the following blood drives:
* 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, February 17, The War Memorial, 32 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Farms.
* 1 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 1, Tompkins Community Center, 14920 Windmill Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Park.
* Noon to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 8, St. Margaret of Scotland Church, 21201 E. 13 Mile, St. Clair Shores.
* 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, March 9, Christ Church Grosse Pointe, 61, boul. Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms.
* 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, March 11, Grosse Pointe Woods Community Center, 20025 Mack, Grosse Pointe Woods.
Register online at redcrossblood.org.
The Association des artistes de Grosse Pointe is offering a watercolor workshop with new teacher Nancy Philo from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, February 19 and 20. Register on grossepointeartcenter.org.
GPAA’s next Your Old Mansion conference will take place on Sunday, February 27 and will feature Jefferson East CEO Josh Elling discussing progress in the Jefferson Chalmers neighborhood, including the future of the Vanity Ballroom. For tickets, visit grossepointeartcenter.org.
The monument to the dead
The War Memorial, 32 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Farms, presents Grosse Pointe Chamber Music at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 20. Tickets are $15; students are admitted free. Visit warmemorial.org.
The Grosse Pointe Sunrise Rotary Club is having its next meeting at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, February 22 at the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House Conference Center, 1100 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Shores. The speaker is Claudia Werner, president of Building Up. Guests are welcome.
The Grosse Pointe Men’s Club is hosting its next luncheon and speakers meeting at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, February 22 at the Tompkins Community Center, located in Windmill Pointe Park. Larry Burns, President and CEO of the Children’s Foundation, speaks. The Children’s Foundation includes the Children’s Hospital of Michigan, the Jamie Daniels Foundation and the Paul W. Smith Golf Classic. Visitors are welcome. The club encourages attendees to wear face masks when not eating, drinking or talking to the group. The cost is $20, paid at the door. To reserve a spot, email [email protected] or call (313) 550-9661.
The Rotary Club of Grosse Pointe is holding its next meeting at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 23. Kim Towar and Paul Rentenback present “Happy 117th Birthday Rotary International”. Visit grossepointerotary.org for information. Those wishing to join the meeting via Zoom should email [email protected]
The bar at Boll Life Center, 158 Ridge, Grosse Pointe Farms, offers a variety of classes and programs. Registration is required at (313) 882-9600 for the following:
* Watch “The Bridge Over the River Kwai” at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, February 25. Cost is $2 for members, $3 for non-members, and includes snacks and the movie.
* Mindfulness and Meditation, 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Tuesday, March 8, with Dr. Lakshmi Saleem.
* Fireside chat with housing experts, 9:30-10 a.m. Wednesday, March 9. The subject is “Selling Your Stuff”.
* Demographics of the Aging Population, 12:30-1:30 p.m. Thursday, March 10, with host Thomas Jankowski, Ph.D. This program is free for members, $5 for non-members.
* Watch “Queen Bees” at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, March 11. Cost is $2 for members, $3 for non-members and includes snacks.
* Rosa’s Fitness Combo Class, 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Thursdays, with instructor Rosa Hunter. The class includes tai chi, yoga, ball exercises, cardio and balance, as well as brain exercises, signs and foreign languages, affirmations and more.
Healthy general practitioner
Healthy Grosse Pointe & Harper Woods meet via Zoom at 8:30 a.m. on the third Wednesday of each month. Its mission is to reduce substance abuse in youth and in the community, as well as to promote optimal mental health through action, education and collaboration. Those interested in attending meetings should email Sasha Murphy at [email protected]
The Alliance Française de Grosse Pointe is an organization that promotes French culture through monthly activities for members. The group is looking for members for its new membership year, which begins in September. It also offers French courses for adults at the Center Culturel de l’Assomption, from September to May each year. Detailed information on membership and French lessons can be found at afdegrossepointe.org.
Northeastern Toastmasters meets via Zoom at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Mondays of each month. Call (313) 720-8444 for link and password.
Edge of the lake
American House Lakeshore hosts Facebook Live Q&A, “Ask the Therapist,” from 1:30-2:00 p.m. Wednesdays, and “Coffee Break Chat with Rachel,” with Sales and Marketing Manager Rachel Nagorsen, from 1:30-2:00 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, call (586) 218-6228.