Community calendar – November 24, 2021
Editor’s Note: Is your group meeting again and wanting to fit into the community calendar? Let us know at editor @ sequim gazette.com or 360-683-3311. – MD
The deadline for articles appearing in the community calendar is Wednesday at noon, one week before publication at [email protected] or delivered to the Sequim Gazette at 147 W. Washington St.
Events, music, dance, exhibitions
• Time Out, songs from the Great American Songbook, Broadway shows, blues and easy listening, Friday, November 26 at 7 p.m. at the Olympic Theater Arts Center, 414 N. Sequim Ave. Tickets for $ 10 are available at the theater box office 1-4 p.m., Tuesday through Friday, or OlympicTheatreArts.org. Call 360-683-7326.
• Trivia Nights (North Olympic Library System), “Peninsula Native History & Culture”, 6:30 pm Friday, November 26. Register at nols.org/trivia-nights-nols.
• Makers Market and Light Art Experience, November 26-27, at the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center, 1203 E. Lauridsen Blvd.
• Hometown Parties, Saturday, November 27, with various events in downtown Sequim, starting at 1 pm. Includes: Sequim Community Orchestra performance at Centennial Place. Visits from Santa Claus at 1:30 p.m., photos from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tractor cruise at 5 p.m.
• Art Beat Small Business sales and events on Saturday, various locations in Sequim, Saturday November 27th. 11 am to 3 pm, artist demonstrations (pottery, painting) at the Blue Whole Gallery, 129 W Washington St.; 11 am-3pm, Fiber Arts Festival exhibit, Sequim Museum & Arts, 544 N. Sequim Ave .; 1 pm-3pm, book signing by artist / author Marina Shipova, exhibition with music jam, Sequim Civic Center Plaza, 152 W. Cedar St.
• Tale Spinners storytelling event at the Olympic Theater Arts Center, 2 p.m. (doors at 1:30 p.m.), Saturday, November 27, at 414 N. Sequim Ave. The theme is “Moments of Gratitude”. Tickets $ 10, available at the door, online at olympictheatrearts.org or by calling 360-683-7326 between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., Tuesday through Friday.
• Sequim Elks Lodge musical event: Cool Jam (60’s and 70’s rock hits), 6 to 8:30 p.m., Sunday, November 28, 143 Port Williams Road. $ 10 for lodge members, $ 12 for the general public. Masks must be worn at the entrance.
• Festival of Trees, noon to 1 pm Sunday, November 28, at the Vern Burton Community Center, 308 E. Fourth St., Port Angeles.
• “Jazz in the PUB, Peninsula College Jazz Ensemble, 12:30 pm Tuesday, November 30, in the college PUB building, 1203 E. Lauridsen Blvd., Port Angeles. To free.
• Special art exhibition / sale, 1 pm to 4 pm, Saturday, December 4, at 141, rue Flying Cloud, Sequim. Featured artists: Ross Brown, Jinx Bryant, Roberta Cooper, Lizbeth Harper, Donna LaHue, Sharman Owings and Linda Tilley.
• Sequim Elks Lodge musical event: Stardust Big Band (dance / concert with swing, standards, big band classics and holiday music), 6 to 8:30 p.m., Sunday, December 12, 143 Port Williams Road. $ 10 for lodge members, $ 12 for the general public. Masks must be worn at the entrance.
• 2nd Tuesday Books Discussion Group (North Olympic Library System), discussing “Braiding Sweetgrass” by Robin Wall Kimmerer, 11 am Tuesday, December 14th. Virtual meeting. Sign up and request copies of the book at nols.org/2nd-tuesday-book-discussion-group.
• The North Olympic Library System, “The Island of the Women of the Sea” by Lisa See, 4:00 pm Wednesday, December 15th discussion group. Virtual meeting. Sign up and request copies of the book at nols.org/novel-conversations-book-discussion-group.
• Wednesday Night Book Focus Group (North Olympic Library System), “The Warmth of Other Suns,” by Isabel Wilkerson, 6:30 pm Wednesday December 15th. Virtual meeting. Sign up and request copies of the book at nols.org/wednesday-evening-book-discussion-group.
• Intentional Aging: Monthly Focus Group (North Olympic Library System), 11:00 am to 12:30 pm, Tuesday, December 21. “Tell your story”. Register at nols.org/intentional-aging.
• Trivia Nights (North Olympic Library System), “New Years, History of Popular Music,” 6:30 pm Thursday, December 30. Register at nols.org/trivia-nights-nols.
• Trivia Nights (North Olympic Library System), “Geek Game On”, 6:30 pm Friday January 28. Register at nols.org/trivia-nights-nols.
• Trivia Nights (North Olympic Library System), “Sweets & Baking Trivia”, 6:30 pm Friday February 25. Register at nols.org/trivia-nights-nols.
Auditions / Submissions
• Peninsula Singers is recruiting new members. Rehearsals are held from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Dungeness Valley Lutheran Church, 925 N. Sequim Ave. A membership fee of $ 100 per semester is requested to help defray costs, including scholarships for local music students. Singers must be able to read music and must have a solid choral background. Email the director, Dr. Jerome Wright, at [email protected]
• Blue Whole Gallery November 2021: Gentle and Tranquil “exhibition with artists Carol Janda and Debbie Cain. 129 W. Washington St. Gallery Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday bluewholegallery.com.
• “Travel Through Time”, exhibition at Sequim Museum & Arts, 544 N. Sequim Ave. Find out how this region has changed from the Pleistocene era to the present day. Admission to the Sequim Museum & Arts is always free (donations are accepted) and is open from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Wednesday to Saturday.
• Shipley Center classes / activities: Tai chi, exercise classes, basic meditation, computer clinic, some offered through Zoom. 360-683-6806, [email protected] (Note: some classes are limited in size)
• Virtual storytelling hours for toddlers and preschoolers led by staff from the North Olympic Library System. Register at nols.org/storytimes.
• Skwim Toastmasters Club. Meets every Tuesday, 7 to 8:30 pm. Meeting currently online via Zoom. Click the “Join us from home” link at 907529.toastmastersclubs.org.
• Christian Writers from the Olympic Peninsula, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on the third Thursday, currently meet online via Zoom. Send an email to [email protected]
• Artistic walk on the first Friday. Self-guided, free tour of local art venues in Sequim, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., first Friday. SequimArtWalk.com.
• Sequim Farmers and Artisans Market, 9 am to 3 pm every Saturday until October 30, Sequim Civic Center Plaza and Centennial Place, in downtown Sequim. [email protected], sequimmarket.com.